It's August and you thought you had all summer to adventure, but before you know it the temps are getting cooler, fall is around the corner, and summer is (almost) coming to end. Don't panic. Here are a few last-minute ideas of things to do before the warm summer weather bids us farewell.
1. Take a quick road trip to a new town or destination close to home
You don't need to plan a week-long excursion to visit a destination on your list. Take a day trip to somewhere you have never been. When you get there stop into a local shop or restaurant and ask a local what is worth seeing.
2. Jump in new body of water
Find a new beach, lake, or swimming hole within driving distance and jump in while the water is still warm. As soon as summer ends, the only water you will enjoy will be your shower or tub for the next 9 months. Scary right?
3. Find a local outdoor concert
There's nothing like sitting in a lawn chair and listening to live band in the warm summer air. Bonus if you can find an outdoor concert with food truck and beer garden.
4. Shop a Farmers Market
Find a farmers market - local or one you have never been to. You will find a variety of fresh food, local goods, and people who love to chat. Bring cash and support these local farms and small business before they have to close up for the winter.
5. Paddle Somewhere New
Bring your kayak or canoe to a new river or lake you have never been. Don't have a water craft? There are many places you can rent a kayak or canoe right on the water.
6. Search out a Summit
While you can hike nearly all months of the year, the air atop a peak has a certain warmth and smell in the summer months. The weather can change drastically in other months leading to carry more gear. Summer typically only requires more water. Search out a new summit and take a hike!
7. Host a Cookout
We love to host an "End of Summer" Cookout with our family and friends. There is a sense of urgency to this type of event. Chat about your summer adventures and how much you are looking forward to going back to school/work this fall.
8. Find your State's best Ice Cream
Search out the best rated ice cream spots in your state and take a road trip. Ask your local scoop server what else there is to do or see in the area.
According to Yelp, here's a list of where to find the best ice cream in each US state. But let's be honest -when it comes to ice cream, it's best to do your own research.
- Alaska (Anchorage): Wild Scoops
- Alabama (Birmingham): Big Spoon Creamery
- Arkansas (Little Rock) : Loblolly Creamery
- Arizona (Phoenix): Novel Ice Cream
- California (Costa Mesa): Confetti Italian Ice & Custard
- Colorado (Denver): I Scream Gelato – Lowry
- Connecticut (New Haven): Arethusa Farm Dairy
- Washington, DC: Everyday Sundae
- Delaware (Lewes): Hopkins Farm Creamery
- Florida (Davie): The Magic Cow
- Georgia (Suwansee): Scoopjoy Ice Creamery
- Hawaii (Kihei): Ululani’s Hawaiian Shave Ice
- Iowa (Clive): Monarca Gourmet Paletas
- Idaho (Meridian): Lovejoy’s Real Ice Cream
- Illinois (Chicago): Vaca’s Creamery
- Indiana (Indianapolis): TeeJay’s Sweet Tooth
- Kansas (Overland Park): The Golden Scoop
- Kentucky (Louisville): Louisville Cream
- Louisiana (Baton Rouge): Sweet Society
- Massachusetts (Mashpee): Polar Cave Ice Cream Parlour
- Maryland (Rockville): Carmen’s Italian Ice & Cafe
- Maine (Bar Harbor): Mount Desert Island Ice Cream
- Michigan (Traverse City): Moomers
- Minnesota (St Paul): Treats
- Missouri (Kansas City): Cookies and Creamery
- Mississippi (Bay Saint Louis): Creole Creamery
- Montana (Whitefish): Sweet Peaks
- North Carolina (Nags Head): Surfin’ Spoon
- North Dakota (Fargo): Silver Lining Creamery
- Nebraska (Omaha): Ted and Wally’s
- New Hampshire (North Conway): Tricks and Treats
- New Jersey (Nutley): Kubo Coffee And Creamery
- New Mexico (Las Cruces): Caliche’s Frozen Custard
- Nevada (Las Vegas): The Paleta Bar
- New York (Brooklyn): The Social
- Ohio (Cleveland): Mitchell’s Homemade Ice Cream
- Oklahoma (Tulsa): Rose Rock Microcreamery
- Oregon (Bend): Bontà Natural Artisan Gelato
- Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh): Treat – Ice Cream and Liege Waffles
- Rhode Island (Providence): Tricycle Ice Cream
- South Carolina (Myrtle Beach): Melt
- South Dakota (Spearfish): Leones’ Creamery
- Tennessee (Knoxville): Cruze Farm Ice Cream Downtown
- Texas (Houston): Connie’s Frozen Custard
- Utah (Bountiful): Blacksmith Ice Cream
- Virginia (Centreville): Bôn Tea House
- Vermont (Burlington): Shy Guy Gelato
- Washington (Tacoma): Melon Seed Deli & Frozen Yogurt
- Wisconsin (Greenfield): Kopp’s Frozen Custard
- West Virginia (Charleston): Ellen’s Homemade Ice Cream
- Wyoming (Jackson): Moo’s Gourmet Ice Cream
Have any other great last-minute summer activities? Share them with us on Twitter.